Thursday, October 07, 2004

French Speak, and All That

I'm finishing up Angela Carter's Heroes & Villains (which I enjoy because it's - because it's Angela Carter), and there's this quote at the beginning:

"Ou fuir, dans un pays inconnu, desert, ou habite par des betes feroces, et par des sauvages aussi barbares qu'elles?"

Now, my grandmother is from France (she was a war bride, straight out of formerly-occupied Nancy), my father was born there and lived there for seven years and used to speak fluent French, and I've taken two years of college French, but because I'm an American, I'm not fluent in any second language like, say, everybody else in the rest of the world. However, I do know that this says something about deserts, and living, and savages, but I can't lick it out, so I engaged the help of these... um, not-so-helpful translators:

From Babble Fish:

"Or to flee, in does an unknown country, desert, or live by betes feroces, and qu'elles such cruel savages?"

From Google:

"Or to flee, in does an unknown country, desert, or live by betes feroces, and savages as cruel as they?"

From Free-Translator:

"Or to flee, in does an unknown country, deserted, or live by wild animals, and savages as cruel as they?"

I'm assuming this is an expansion of Nietzsche's "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster," quote.

Likely, it means something like this: "Or in fleeing into an unknown country, desert, or place of wild beasts, does one become as cruel as they?"

Reminds me that I should be taking French classes on Saturdays. And reminds me just how lacking all of these online translators still are.

6 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

Anna Broadway said...

Very interesting stuff, your blog! For some reason the word “verve” comes to mind.

How did I get here? You sent a reader my way and with an “Earl” like your blog has, knew I had to check it out. ;)

Cheers,
Anna Broadway
Sexless in the City

Kameron Hurley said...

Hey there, thanks for dropping by... I get a kick out of keeping up the site. It gives me something to do at work (yes) and it's a great place to vent.

I admit, though, I don't know that I've seen your site until now. I'm wondering if this was a "next blog" button sort of referrel? Whatever gets ya here sounds good to me. I'll definately be popping by your place regularly, though. Looks like a good time.

Anonymous said...

The translation depends very much on whether it's "ou" or "où". First one means "or", second one means "where". I also suspect it's "habité" rather than "habite", but that too would be vital for a correct translation.

Regards, H.

Anonymous said...

I just spent some more time thinking, and I think that the most likely version of the sentence (with correct accents) is:

"Où fuir, dans un pays inconnu, desert, ou habité par des bêtes feroces, et par des sauvages aussi barbares qu'elles?"

Which would translate as:

"Where to flee to, in a country that is unknown, deserted, or inhabited by wild animals and by equally cruel savages?"

Regards,
Horst

Anonymous said...

I just spent some more time thinking, and I think that the most likely version of the sentence (with correct accents) is:

"Où fuir, dans un pays inconnu, desert, ou habité par des bêtes feroces, et par des sauvages aussi barbares qu'elles?"

Which would translate as:

"Where to flee to, in a country that is unknown, deserted, or inhabited by wild animals and by equally cruel savages?"

Regards,
Horst

Kameron Hurley said...

Excellent! Yes, it's the "ou" with the accent mark... ah, of course! "Where" not "or." Same with "habite" - I had no idea how to insert accent marks into text using this keyboard.

Thanks, H.